Flu season is already here. For those of us who work in public health and immunizations, that means we’re busy getting the word out about the importance of getting an annual flu vaccine.
Communication is always important during flu season. As a partner of Immunize Nevada, we hope these resources help save you time and also help you make sure that we’re using similar messages about influenza across the state.
Toolkits for Specific Audiences:
Jump to a section:
- Key Messages
- Posters Available for Download
- Sample Social Media Messages
- Frequently Asked Questions (FAQ)
- Additional Resources and Links
- The CDC recommends a flu vaccine as the best way to protect against flu
- Everyday preventive actions like covering your cough, staying away from people who are sick and washing your hands often can help prevent the spread of respiratory viruses like the flu.
- Influenza antiviral medications are an important second line of defense against the flu.
We’ve made printable posters for a variety of audiences. We encourage you to print them and use them as you wish.
- Editable Clinic Poster – You can customize this clinic flier to advertise your flu clinics. Distribute to key media contacts, partners and post on-site as well as on social media and online.
- Healthcare Workers
Sample Social Media Posts
The below posts can be copied and pasted into Facebook and Twitter. Please help us give the pro-vaccine and pro-flu vaccine movement a voice by openly sharing your support on social media. Be sure to use the hashtag of #nvflu and #fightflu with your posts so that we can track the reach you help us achieve. Another way to help spread the word is to follow us on Facebook, Twitter, Instagram and Pinterest and to share our posts with your social network as the flu season progresses. Make sure you’ve liked us and are following us so that you get the latest information!
College Flu Campaign: Sample Social Media Messages
- Healthy young adults can and do get the flu each year! Get a flu vaccine to stay healthy and help your school win! #NVFightFlu! Then help us keep score by visiting the site below: http://influencenevada.org/
- Nevada Universities are competing to beat the flu! Don’t let your campus lose to the flu! Get a flu vaccine today, after you do, make sure to help us keep score by visiting the site below: http://influencenevada.org/ #NVFightFlu
- Did you get your flu vaccine yet? Show us your school spirit and help your team protect your community against the flu! Once you get your vaccine, make sure you help keep the scoreboard updated by visiting the site below! #NVFightFlu http://influencenevada.org/
- The Wolf Pack and the Rebels are competing for a healthier Nevada! Who will win? Did you get your flu vaccine yet? Tell us when you do in the link below and help your team win for a healthier Nevada! #NVFightFlu! http://influencenevada.org/
- Nevada, are you ready to fight the flu? Join your school as they battle it out for a healthier Nevada! Get your flu vaccine and let us know when you do using the link below! Support your Wolf Pack or Rebels as they keep Nevada safe! http://influencenevada.org/ #NVFightFlu
- Which Nevada University will win the Fremont Syringe? Are you a student, Alumni or fan? Join the fight against the flu, get vaccinated and help your school win! Once you get vaccinated, let us know in the link below to help us keep score! http://influencenevada.org/ #NVFightFlu
- Get your flu vaccine this season to help keep your community healthy! Join the Wolf Pack and the Rebels as they fight for a healthier Nevada. Let us know when you’ve gotten your vaccine and help keep score by visiting the website below! http://influencenevada.org/ #NVFightFlu
- Fight the flu this season! Get your flu vaccine and help keep score as the Rebels and Wolf Pack fight for the Fremont Syringe and a healthier Nevada! Keep score below when you get your flu vaccine by visiting the website below: http://influencenevada.org/ #NVFightFlu
- Get your flu vaccine today and help keep your community healthy! Fight the flu and assist the Wolf Pack or the Rebels as they fight for the Fremont Syringe! Help keep score by visiting the website below after you receive your vaccine! http://influencenevada.org/ #NVFightFlu
- Fight the flu this season and get vaccinated! Fight alongside the Wolf Pack and the Rebels for a healthier Nevada! After you’ve gotten vaccinated, help us keep score by visiting the site below: http://influencenevada.org/ #NVFightFlu
- Five easy tips to protect yourself from #flu (step 1: Get your flu vax!): Protect yourself with the #flu vaccine. #nvflu http://bit.ly/1Qyu9PB
- Watch: Something creepy is going on around here — it’s the flu virus. Protect yourself with the #flu vaccine. #nvflu http://bit.ly/1LxTcPk
- Watch: What evil lurks where we least suspect it? It’s the flu virus. Protect yourself with the #flu vaccine. #nvflu http://bit.ly/1Ge5Hmp
- Watch: There’s DANGER lurking right under your nose! Protect yourself with the #flu vaccine. #nvflu http://bit.ly/1RRhb0v
- Medicare and Medicaid cover both #flu and pneumonia vaccines with no co-pay or deductible. #nvflu #FightFlu
- The Vaccines for Children program provides #flu vax to eligible children under 19 yrs at low or no cost. #nvflu Find a clinic: www.vfcnevada.org
- Avoid touching your eyes, nose or mouth. Germs spread this way. And don’t forget your annual flu vax, which is the best way to avoid the flu. #nvflu
- Wash hands often with soap and water, cough/sneeze into your elbow, teach children to do the same. And get your #flu vaccine #nvflu
- Pregnant women and their babies are at higher risk for flu-related complications, including premature labor and preterm birth. #FightFlu
- Flu vax is recommended in any trimester for all women who are pregnant or who plan to become pregnant during the flu season. #FightFlu
- Average number of Americans hospitalized each year because of flu complications: 200,000. #FightFlu and get your #flu vaccine today!
- Average number of lost school days each year due to flu and flu complications: 38 million. #FightFlu and get your #flu vaccine today!
- Flu causes 111 million lost workdays a year, resulting in > $7 billion in lost wages. #FightFlu and get your #flu vaccine today!
- 20 seconds of scrubbing under warm water and soap will kill 99.99% of germs on your hands. #FightFlu and get your #flu vaccine today.
- Hands can hold germs for up to 5 minutes after coming into contact with other surfaces. #FightFlu and get your #flu vaccine today!
- 5 children died in Nevada during the 2015-16 #nvflu season. #FightFlu and get your family #vaccinated today!
- Germs can linger in the air for up to an hour in an enclosed environment. #FightFlu and get your #flu vaccine today!
- A sick person can be contagious for 24 hours before symptoms are noticed. #FightFlu and get your #flu vaccine today!
- An infected person can exhale germs that travel up to 6 feet. #FightFlu and get your #flu vaccine today!
- 20,000 children under 5 are hospitalized each year from the flu. #FightFlu and get your #flu vaccine today!
- 90% of flu-related deaths are from people over 65 years of age. #FightFlu and get your #flu vaccine today!
Personalized (photos/organization in support)
- [INSERT NAME] leads by example & encourages others to protect themselves & those around them. #FightFlu [INSERT PHOTO]
- [INSERT NAME] got #vaccinated to #FightFlu. RT if you got yours. [INSERT PHOTO]
- [INSERT ORGANIZATION] joins @ImmunizeNV to help spread the word: every year, #GetVaccinated to #FightFlu.
- It’s time to #FightFlu! [INSERT ORGANIZATION] encourages everyone age 6 months & older to #GetVaccinated!
- Excited to kick-off #flu season with @ImmunizeNV. Don’t hesitate, vaccinate to #FightFlu
Seasonal Social Media Posts (Facebook and Twitter)
- RT if your ‘to do’ list includes an annual #flu vaccine! #FightFlu
- You may be able to pass on the #flu before you even know you are sick http://bit.ly/C8yu #FightFlu
- #Flu symptoms include fever, aches, chills, & extreme tiredness. Symptoms come on suddenly-much faster than colds #FightFlu
- The single best way to prevent #flu is to #GetVaccinated each year. RT if you already got yours #FightFlu
- Children are 2-3 times more likely than adults to get sick with the #flu. Annual #vaccines are important for kids & adults! #FightFlu
- Approximately 5-20% of the US population gets seasonal #flu each year http://bit.ly/X8oSaj #FightFlu
- Hispanic children have the highest #flu vaccination rates. Keep up the good work & #GetVaccinated each year! #NationalHispanicHeritageMonth #FightFlu
- As the weather grows colder, be prepared for #flu season. #GetVaccinated annually for protection! #FightFlu
- RT if you got your #flu vaccine this year! #FightFlu
- #Flu can spread up to 6 feet from a cough or sneeze! Learn more at http://bit.ly/C8yu #FightFlu
- Track #flu in your area at http://bit.ly/XduO1D #FightFlu
- Keep your child home for 24 hours after fever is gone before sending them back to school #fightflu
- If you’re showing #flu symptoms before a big trip, call your doctor right away http://bit.ly/eeuSK5 #FightFlu
- Are you a #flu fighter? Learn about flu with @nfidvaccines coloring book http://bit.ly/TNWhQF #FightFlu
- You know what’s scary? The #flu! It’s a serious disease & anyone can get it – even healthy children. #GetVaccinated #FightFlu
- It’s National Diabetes Month. If you have diabetes, #flu can be serious. Protect yourself by getting #vaccinated #FightFlu
- Stay home if you’re sick–don’t be ‘That Guy!’ http://bit.ly/ZVrkky #FightFlu
- Vote yes for #flu vaccine! #GetVaccinated to #FightFlu
- Give thanks, not #flu. Protect yourself & your family by getting #vaccinated! #FightFlu
- Pass the stuffing, not the flu. Make sure everyone at the table gets vaccinated!
- Give thanks for your family’s health and keep them healthy with recommended #vaccines
- It’s not too late to #GetVaccinated. #FightFlu to protect yourself & your loved ones today! http://bit.ly/1PyJ6Eq
- This holiday season, keep your family happy, healthy & #flu free. Make sure everyone 6 months+ gets vaccinated to #FightFlu!
- The holiday are here! Make sure your to-do list includes getting your family vaccinated to #FightFlu! http://bit.ly/1tvPdJq
- Before you visit grandma & grandpa this holiday season, make sure you #GetVaccinated to #FightFlu
- Just like holiday cheer, #flu begins to peak in December. Protect yourself & your family. #GetVaccinated to #FightFlu!
December 4-9 – National Influenza Vaccination Week
- It’s #NIVW2016 #DYK: Children 6 months-8 years may need 2 doses of #flu #vaccine? http://bit.ly/1IGLam4
- This #NIVW2016 make sure your family is protected against #flu! Everyone 6 months+ should #GetVaccinated to #FightFlu!
- #Flu #vaccine is recommended & can be given at any time during pregnancy. This #NIVW2016 protect yourself & baby from #flu!
- It’s important to #GetVaccinated to #FightFlu NOW since it can take up to 2 weeks to build immunity #NIVW2016 http://bit.ly/1IGLam4
- #NIVW2016 reminds everyone to #GetVaccinated to #FightFlu this holiday season & beyond!
Remember: Plenty of additional social media content will be provided while in-season. This is just to get you started!
Frequently Asked Questions
View the CDC’s Influenza FAQs.
Where can I get a flu vaccine?
Flu vaccines are offered in many locations, including doctor’s offices, clinics, health departments, pharmacies and college health centers, as well as by many employers, and even in some schools.
Even if you don’t have a regular doctor or nurse, you can get a flu vaccine somewhere else, like a health department, pharmacy, urgent care clinic, and often your school, college health center, or work. View Nevada flu vaccine locations.
What are signs and symptoms of the flu?
People who have the flu often feel some or all of these signs and symptoms:
- Fever* or feeling feverish/chills.
- Sore throat
- Runny or stuffy nose
- Muscle or body aches
- Fatigue (very tired)
Who is at high risk for developing flu-related complications?
Vaccination of people at high risk of developing serious influenza-related complications is especially important to decrease their risk of severe illness as a result of flu.
People at high risk of serious flu complications include young children, pregnant women, people with certain chronic health conditions like asthma, diabetes, or heart and lung disease, and people aged 65 years and older.
The full list of high-risk conditions is available on the CDC website at http://www.cdc.gov/flu/about/disease/high_risk.htm.
Who else should get vaccinated?
Other people for whom vaccination is especially important are:
- People who live in nursing homes and other long-term care facilities
- People who live with or care for those at high risk for complications from flu, including:
- Health care workers
- Household contacts of persons at high risk for complications from the flu
- Household contacts and caregivers of children younger than 5 years of age with particular emphasis on vaccinating contacts of children younger than 6 months of age (children younger than 6 months are at highest risk of flu-related complications but are too young to get vaccinated)
Additional Resources and Links
The following links contains a number of resources to help you in your communication efforts this flu season. We will update these materials throughout the season, since each flu season is different and we have a need to be prepared to answer a variety of questions.
- Immunize Nevada: Connecting you to flu and other immunization resources in the Silver State
- Healthmap Vaccine Finder: Locate vaccines near you vaccine.healthmap.org
- CDC: One stop access to the most current information available from the CDC and DHHS